Welcome to the application site for Auditioned Choirs and Interest Session Presenters for the ACDA Eastern Region Conference, Open Ears, Open Hearts, which will take place in Rochester, New York March 4-7, 2020. You can view application/audition requirements, initial criteria, and the actual applications by clicking "submit" for the particular aspect(s) of the conference for which you are applying.
You are also able to work on an application and save as a draft before final submission.
ACDA members and members of associate professional and scholarly societies are invited to submit interest session proposals for the ACDA Eastern Region Conference to be held in Rochester, New York on March 4th – 7th, 2020
Application Due Date: April 15, 2019
The selection committee will be guided in their acceptance process by the following criteria:
- Importance and timeliness of the topic;
- Consideration of conference theme “Open Ears, Open Hearts;”
- Practical applicability to the membership of the Eastern Region;
- Quality of the written summary including its objectives and organization; and
- Overall conference program balance.
- Priority will be given to ACDA members.
A variety of session formats are offered. The committee will consider lectures, clinics, panels, demonstration sessions, repertoire sessions, or any other forum that speaks to the musical, intellectual, and technical issues faced by choral musicians. It is also expected that the full palette of interest sessions, as a whole, will reflect a wide spectrum of styles, cultures, literature and musicians. NOTE: all sessions will be 50 minutes in length and delivered twice during the conference.
CONFERENCE THEME: OPEN EARS, OPEN HEARTS
We want to create a welcoming space where everyone who comes to the conference feels at home and can relate to some aspect of the conference. We hope to provide experiences that break the mold and are devoted to creative and innovative work extending beyond conventional choral practice with programs rooted in principles of equity, justice, inclusion, and diversity. In this critical time, we need to find more ways to present music as a force for good.
This mission fully supports the Vision Statement found in the National ACDA 2018 Strategic Plan: “To create powerful artistic experiences and be advocates for cultural and educational change that we might transform the lives of singers and listeners alike.”
ACDA Eastern Region Conference
March 4-7, 2020 • Rochester, NY
- The director of an ensemble applying for choral performance at an ACDA conference must be a current member of ACDA; membership shall not expire on or before the last day of the conference.
- The director of the ensemble must have been employed in the same position for no less than three consecutive years.
- No ensemble or director may appear at successive national or successive regional conferences. Ensembles that appear at a national conference may audition and appear at the following region conference and vice versa. Directors that appeared as a demonstration choir are exempt from this rule.
We seek to represent the primary ACDA Repertoire and Resource areas—Youth, Collegiate, Lifelong, and Repertoire-Specific (Equity & Justice, Men’s/TTBB, Women’s/SSAA, Jazz, Ethnic, Contemporary/Commercial)—with a diverse, broad representation of our 21st-century choral art, and we invite audition recordings from choirs of all age levels, specializations (e.g. Gospel, Barbershop), or renown, including ensembles that represent historically underrepresented populations. Innovative and inspiring programming reflective of the choir’s strengths should be the cornerstone of the proposed program.
ACDA assumes no financial responsibility for performer travel, food, or lodging. By submitting an application to perform, you consent to being audio and video recorded with no financial compensation from ACDA or the recording company if chosen to perform in the convention.
Auditioned choirs will perform in one of two venues: Downtown United Presbyterian Church (DUPC) or in the performance hall at the Hochstein School of Music and Dance (Hochstein). Two grand pianos and a Fisk tracker organ are available at DUPC. Two grand pianos are available at Hochstein. Click here for pictures of both venues. Accepted choirs will be able to request a preferred venue, but ACDA cannot guarantee that choirs will be placed in the choir's preferred venue. ACDA is not responsible for providing additional instruments or equipment.